Assignment 2 – Reconstruct and change
KING OF THE SEAS
There is a pattern of ridges in the silicon that goes around the glove and I planned to fill it with white stripes (first had ideas of a zebra – fish) but also with more elaborate decorations such as scales.
I planned for the “big” teeth in the upper jaw and realized I had to place them before any work began – I made a slit on each side and threaded the paper through, inside the “jaw”.
I continued to glue tiny paper strips into the indentures between the ridges and then started to look at my work. Difficult to make them stick to silicon and I did not want to work with superglue – I would in that case be a case for the A&E after a few strips.
However with an all purpose glue it worked out. I also started the fitting of the scales – made from paper as well as old aluminium covered lids of aluminium disposable forms. These lids were of different shine which added some extra effect.
I wanted the “scale” decorations to expand and to become prouder and prouder in order to finish into a very impressive tail fin! When the king of the sea was to be viewed by competitors – he should be both a kind of peacock as well as looking cruel and dangerous.
The further development were decorations in increasing size
Next important attribute was the tail fin – I thought for quite some time to elongate my fish but decided upon a compact body but impressive and disproportionate fin. I constructed the fin from two old shoulder pads that I dressed in some white-cream moiré fabric. I clipped together the tail in an opposite direction than natural in order to have the tail positioned vertically – to look a bit more impressive. I sew a couple of black seems to fasten the fabric onto the pads – but also to make it a bit decorative. Then I fastened the tail by sewing it onto the silicon and hid later on the edge by a further decoration.
The lower part of the fin is more strict, with zick-zack edge whereas the upper part is featherlike, soft and actually looks really lovely and fluffy. I made that by tearing the fabric to create the fluffy impressison. I added some black decoration to the tail – to create a contrast.
Finally time had come to add the back and top fin and I chose from two solutions: a black with feathery edges or a strict silver fin? I had added tooth picks inside between the glued layers that could be stuck inside the fish. These also created a pattern on the fin as if there were the structures of real fish fins – to some extent at least. They also produced a different shine to the silver surface. I tried both of them but selected the silver fin. The impression was better – in order not to blur the impression of the tail fin and also to strengthen the more elegant look! I made eyes from rounded matt silver plates with insertions of black strips cut and folded as to make a small structure upon the “nose”. I wanted eyes that were not just only flat structures – something more visible and interesting.
|Sketch produced by drawing with coal, oil pastel and normal soft pencil|