Search This Blog

Mar 1, 2011

Module 2; Assignment 3; Light and Shade - In and Out



I enjoyed looking for interesting objects, forms and shapes outside and when starting inside – it becomes fascinating. All of a sudden objects get a different meaning – more difficult inside than outside. Inside one is surrounded by all that constitute a home; your own home and many if not most of the objects have been there for ages and “just sit there”. Some of them have been placed for decorative reasons and others are in use every day. I do think that the objects that are in use every day is the perhaps most interesting concept – to be given another purpose. Outside I have been looking for contours, patterns, roadsigns and houses.

Exterior:
I was lucky to be able to take some of my exterior photos on a sunny morning – it does give you more opportunities. I have somewhat got hooked on form and figures and the business of looking for patterns and forms inside the masses of tree trunks and naked branches outside my kitchen window. However I have made that into a separate project – and will play around with the different shapes to colour them, to stripe them etc.

  ¨One picture of my beloved trees. I have manipulated my pictures – normally to create higher contrast which means this picture does not display a range of tones. It is however giving the impression of tones due to the collection in the right lower part of a burst of fine branches – almost like a bouqet of flowers. This contrasts strongly with the upper left and the dominating feature is the very strong impression of the trunks. I like this picture – and makes use of it and its collegues.


This picture is one of several in a row opposite the library in Saffron Walden. It is particularly interesting due to the combination of the very black, slightly ornamental iron work – and the white reflection of windows in the very upper edge of the picture. In addition it has a foglike and quite exciting body behind the bars with a hint of windows – but also of me photographing. In this picture there are different tones and of special interest is the ornamental whitish barrier of the balcony in the upper part in combination with the black ornament together with the really black frame. A further opportunity to see is of course the face – upper white windows are eyes, lower middle  cropped iron bars form the mouth and the iron “flower” could easily be a nose. There is another image that appears – that of somebody seen from behind having climbed in the fog to have a look through the inviting windows inside the balcony. Thoughts like somebody excluded who enviously views life inside this window – do pass through my mind.
Turned upside down the upper iron ornament does become a woman, from the back possibly dancing for someone watching from the inside! If such a translation is made, it would be cropped along the mid iron bar.



This image has been manipulated to increase its contrasts and to decrease the “middle tones”. I think it is very interesting with the signs in the middle poking in all directions but into the dark – where one has no idea what is waiting. There are contrasts between the iron fence and the checked, rather light brickwork. And – the shadows on the wall create a pattern, almost like graffiti on the wall. Perhaps the balance between the very black left half and the much more containing right half is poor – but for some reason the only left pointing sign rebalances it and altogether I feel there is an opportunity to further develop this image – by cropping it in different ways – perhaps the upper quarter, or keeping just the middle vertica strip – or why not the upper half, cropped just under the lowest white sign?
 Pargetting is rich in these areas and this detail comes from one of the oldest if not the oldest house in Saffron Walden. I have increased contrast and cropped it from other patterns – however I could change my mind. I love the pargetting custom – it does not exist in Sweden to make decorations in this way. There are different patterns and one of them ids a depiction of a saffron crocus which was the trade of Saffron Walden in medieval ages. I think I have made the image interesting. If one almost closes one’s eyes watching the curved and straight black lines running diagonally become more obvious as well as the vertical lines – hence a checked appearance. However with a closer and clear look the very pattern in each little area become intriguing and one can discover they are different – actually three different patterns beautiful arranged and shadows increase the graphical impression.
 The tower of our “wedding cake” library - I just had to include a detail of this building dominating our market square together with a mock Tudor town hall. I think the image is a good display of black and white contrats together with shadows and not the least the soft lighter part of the sky behind the sharp image of the tower. This picture could be developed by cropping different parts – or by blackening or whitening out some areas. I do feel the left part of the tower with its black “hole” for the clock combined with the more ornamental lower part – could be interesting. If one includes the very upper tower and blackens or whitens the front clock it could add an exciting feature.
 
This picture I think is beautiful. When I saw the shadow on this door – it was an immediate wow! I have worked it into a blacker shadow as I wanted a more dramatic picture. The black shadow combined with the striped part gives a striking impression. The small “dots”
Create an interesting decoration – but help to emphasize the rectangular forms. The door knob just brakes it all up in a  good way and depending on image quality the tear and ware signs on the wood work of the door also helps to create an interesting balance in the picture. The shadow vertical stripes help to balance the very black parts and this picture is striking!
Interior: 
This picture is taken from above a large glass vase, on the side of a white table standing upon the limestone base in front of the fireplace. When looking from above, I was struck by the circular shades created by the vase – a bit on both sides. The picture created “inside” the vase is interesting as there is a certain ”wave” pattern formed and I also think the forms – very strictly round and circular, together with the curved table edge, contrast very well with the straight lines of the wall and skirting board as well as the limestone base. There are definitely several tones of grey in the picture, and perhaps could the picture be a bit manipulated to create something on the side of the table – to “frame “ it a bit – however I am not quite certain.
One could crop it so that the round forms are dominant and filling the picture – could be interesting to try.
 
Two completely different objects – a Chinese vase and a modern potted bowl with a lid. I liked the contrasts of the pattern of the Chinese vase compared with the form of the top of the pther. There is also a tendency of shadow to both objects as well as the reflection on the surface they are standing on. It is very white in the ackground – but that means one feels they are free and I like it.
Several different tones of grey and black as well as bold black and bright white – both in the objects and the background.
It strikes me that photos of the top of the modern pot can be combined – perhaps with the patterns of birds I have found in my trees outside my window?
Our toaster from above became a quite interesting photo I think! There is a good balance in this picture between light and darkness, and a feeling of well proportioned framing. Then the details of what goes on in the middle makes one curious – they are small details in a larger picture with fairly bold lines. This photo has also an outer boundary – as it has a dark background – compoared to the previous photos. I like this picture.
 This is my pot with different kitchen tools standing beside the cooker – from above. It did create a quite interesting picture where one becomes curious and looks for things to see and to identify. I can immediately feel that it is a bouquet of flowers and itch to makenit still more so by stitching.It has a vivid pattern of different tones and a wild mix of patterns and forms. There are small patterns as in the whisk as well as intriguing curved and folded patterns as the head of the pair of scissors as well as of the white spoon. I am going to make a line drawing of these particular forms – to save for later use.  There is also an interesting fairly sharp line that goes from mid-right to almost the left edge which almost divides the picture in two – perhaps one could play with cutting it in two and position the two parts in a different way. 
Motif is evident – kitchen corner. I have manipulated the image and I think in an interesting way as it gives some more space for imagination. There are very white areas, there are grey with some reflections in it and also quite black areas. Forms of bottles are always harmonic as they frequently display both straight and nicely curved lines. It is also fun that some of the heads with the capsules seem to be hanging in the air. One could play with this picture – to insert bottle forms from above.
 
This is a very ordinary motif – however I think this stack of plates is extraordinary beautiful. The slightly curved shapes, the black and grey tones and the very soft edges of the white lines. There is also an interesting effect on the top of the pile and I think the bottom of the lowest plate adds an interesting feature to the picture.
Picture chosen for enlargement to A4
I have chosen the window with the iron bars described above – and I think I have described my feelings for this picture as so much can be read into it. I have enlarged it to A4 but I have not cropped it – it could be cropped on the right side to remove the stone frame that is visible – however I feel that edge adds to the picture, parly because it is a bit rounded to give the picture somewhat more softness, but it also has some vague pattern that also adds interest.
Task 7 
Transferring an image onto fabric
I have chosen to transfer the image of the old door, with the very black shadow. However, I first made a photocopy of that door, but in a fashion so that there were nine copies on the same sheet. That way it became still more intensive. As I do not really know how it will come out from this process, I wanted to have something that would stand out! I had a white tight-woven fine cotton and I think that will be a good support for the image.
However, my plan for how to use this image really was to decorate the stripes of the doors with silver lurex thread along the ridges of the doors, but on some doors add a strip of Al-foil to make it a bit more varied.
Then I plan to open a few of the doors, somehow crudely line the doors and if necessary stiffen them a bit and behin these doors – or actually windows as they become with the lay-out of the nine components on the same picture.
Behind the opened doors I will place pictures of the small couple from the Valentino picture but in some cases mounted on the “dancing” lines from my “stretch-fabric” drawing. I will play around with those lines – once I have the printed picture and see how I best and creatively can combine these pictures.
I know I am going to print in a further task and then I thought I can take the opportunity to print a fabric, onto which I can mount this present print – with some decorations on the doors.
This little figurine can be inserted into the pictures below and make it all more interesting behind those windows. I can also use the line figure I used inside the stitched eye, a line figure found in the first line drawing we made. I will also make a partial line drawing of the photo of my kitchen tools from above where there are also many interesting lines.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment