Search This Blog

Feb 26, 2011

Module 2; Assignment 2a Artist's drawings

I started with the master of masters, Picasso – and whoever of the big major artists, I could have chosen pictures and drawings for hours. I have researched Picasso, Chagall, Miro; Matisse; Vasarely, Dali, Rodin, Tracey Emin, Henry Moore, but also made some research on Saatchi-on-line and found some artists (or wannabees) with further styles. I tried to pick out drawings with different styles and techniques.

I enclose a few of the drawings I have chosen – and what struck me was the very different styles that both Picasso and in particular Matisse were using and drawing. I tried to find some black and whites in Dalis’ work – but did not at this rather quick glance on internet – and found one snake made by Vasarely which was quite intriguing.

Vasarely has been at the forefront of popart and he has worked and produced the most fantastic optical and geometrical works. I have also visited his museum in Aix in France and seen these giant, giant geometrical and optical fantasies. Amazing. My drawing of the “Onions in the net” has to some extent been inspired by what I saw when researching Vasarely. However I have to admit that the zebra work is not a drawing – but I liked it!

Another artist – Escher – I found in a book I borrowed at the library – about drawing illusions. I think his hands that are drawing themselves is a genial concept and the next one – smaller and smaller is alsos quite interesting.

What can I say – the more I explore I can just say I am really amazed at what can be achieved by drawing. However – sitting down for one of my “everyday”-drawing exercises (which unfortunately is not everyday) after having researched the masters – I do lose confidence completely!

I found examples of Picasso’s light drawings – beautiful and intriguing as he is visible himself at the same time.

I feel the drawings presented represent a range of drawing techniques – everything from graphite to black ink. A range of “full drawing” with surfaces more or less covered by marks – to “one-line-drawings” enough to depict exactly what is supposed to be seen. There is also a wide choice of “range of contrasts” such as black on white – and grey on white – to maaibly grey.

My chosen drawings:
Bedrich Feuerstein

Chagall-Mother Eiffel


Escher

 Escher-Smaller and smaller

Matisse
Matisse

Matisse

Matisse

Matisse

Matisse

Picasso
Picasso

Picasso

Picasso
Vasarely

No comments:

Post a Comment